Are you an educator looking to expand your horizons and teach abroad? Or perhaps you’re a new graduate considering international teaching as a stepping stone in your career? This guide will be your comprehensive resource for embarking on an exciting journey in the world of international education.
In this blog, we dive deep into Teach Away, a pioneering organization that has been instrumental in connecting teachers with global opportunities. Teach Away’s mission is to ensure every student benefits from the power of a great teacher, and we’ll see how they strive to make this a reality.
But what if Teach Away isn’t the right fit for you? Don’t worry! We’ll also introduce you to a range of alternative organizations that offer similar opportunities. Whether you’re a seasoned educator or just starting, this guide is your first step toward an adventure in international teaching. Let’s embark on this educational journey together!
What is Teach Away?
Teach Away is an organization dedicated to helping educators find teaching opportunities across the globe. Established in 2003, it has grown into a significant player in international teacher recruitment. The core mission of Teach Away is to create a world where every student can experience the influence of a great teacher and realize their full potential because of it. They work with various educational institutions, including international schools, ministries of education, and other organizations, to facilitate teacher placements in countries worldwide.
Teach Away offers a variety of job opportunities for educators at different levels, such as early childhood, elementary, middle school, high school, and university positions. They also provide opportunities for online teaching and tutoring. One of the notable aspects of Teach Away is its TEFL certification programs, which are designed for educators looking to qualify for teaching English abroad. These programs are offered in partnership with institutions like the University of Toronto’s Faculty of Education.
Where Does Teach Away Operate?
Teach Away operates in a wide range of locations across the globe, offering diverse opportunities for educators at various levels, including early childhood, elementary, middle school, high school, and university teaching positions. They also have opportunities for online teaching and tutoring.
Through Teach Away, educators have the chance to teach in diverse settings, from private international schools to public schools, and in various subject areas. The benefits and amenities available for teachers can vary depending on the location and the size of the city or school they choose to teach in.
Who Can Join Teach Away?
To join Teach Away and explore teaching opportunities abroad, you typically need to meet certain educational and professional requirements. These requirements can vary based on the type of teaching job you’re interested in. Here are the general criteria for different teaching categories:
ESL or Teaching English Abroad Jobs:
- A Bachelor’s degree in any subject area.
- An EFL (English Foreign Language) qualification, such as a TEFL certification.
Certified or Licensed Teaching Jobs:
- A Bachelor’s degree.
- A teaching license from your home country.
- 1-2 years of relevant teaching experience is often required.
Leadership and Administration Positions (e.g., Principal, Vice Principal, Counsellor):
- A Graduate degree.
- A teaching license from your home country.
ESL Instructor Positions at University Level:
- A Graduate degree.
- EFL certification.
- ESL teaching experience.
It’s important to note that specific job requirements may vary from these general guidelines, so you should review each job posting carefully to ensure you meet the requirements.
For those without prior teaching experience, you may still be eligible for certain teaching positions, particularly in teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL), provided you meet the minimum eligibility criteria like having a TEFL certificate and a bachelor’s degree.
Equip yourself with the skills you need to be an effective educator and excel in your future career!
Application and Recruitment Process of Teach Away
The application and recruitment process for Teach Away involves several steps, each designed to facilitate your journey towards teaching abroad or online. Here’s an overview of the process:
- Create a Teacher Profile: The first step is to register on the Teach Away website and create a detailed teacher profile. This profile should include all necessary supporting documentation, such as your resume, videos, and pictures.
- Browsing Job Listings: Once your profile is set up, you can start browsing the Teach Away job board. There are hundreds of opportunities available with international schools, government programs, universities, and language colleges in over 40 countries.
- Applying for Jobs: You can apply for jobs directly through the Teach Away website by clicking the “Apply” button on job listings. It’s crucial to ensure you meet all the eligibility requirements for each position you’re interested in, including holding a bachelor’s degree and a TEFL certification for most English teaching positions.
- The Interview Process: After submitting your application, it will be reviewed by schools and Teach Away’s placement coordinators. If you are a successful candidate, you will be contacted for an interview. The number of interviews can vary depending on the position and the country. It’s essential to research the school and prepare thoroughly for the interview, including being ready to answer common questions such as why you want to work at the school and what your teaching approach is.
- Document Preparation and Visa Processing: Once you secure a job, you’ll need to process various documents and obtain a visa for the country you will be teaching in. This process varies for each teacher and requires organization and understanding of the specific requirements of your destination country. Teach Away coordinators and the school will assist you, but the responsibility for getting everything processed in time lies with you.
- Booking Your Flight: Finally, after securing your visa and signing your contract, you’ll need to book your flight. Some schools might provide or reimburse your flight, while others may require you to book it on your own.
Remember, the application process can be competitive, and not all applicants may receive a response due to the high volume of applications. It’s important to ensure your application is as strong as possible to increase your chances of success.
Tips for a Successful Application to Teach Away
To enhance your chances of a successful application to Teach Away, consider these tips:
- Craft an Impressive Teacher Profile and Application: Make sure your teacher profile on Teach Away is complete and detailed. This is crucial for speeding up your application process and attracting more employers.
- Ensure Job Requirement Alignment: Read job postings thoroughly and make sure you meet all the role requirements. Applying for positions that don’t match your qualifications can hinder your chances.
- Complete Application: Fill out every section of the application form. Leaving gaps or providing incomplete information can prevent your application from moving forward.
- Polish Your Resume: Ensure your resume is up-to-date, clear, and concise. It should present relevant information in a well-organized format. Remember to keep it under two pages and include all necessary details like education, training, and experience.
- Include a Professional Photo: Many overseas employers expect a photograph with your application. Use a clear, simple headshot without filters or effects.
- Prepare for Phone Interviews: Set aside a quiet space for the interview, be ready for the call, and have key resources like your resume and job description at hand. Speak clearly, use positive language, and give thorough answers.
By focusing on these aspects, you can make your application stand out and increase your chances of securing a teaching position through Teach Away. Remember, the application process can be competitive, so presenting yourself as a well-prepared and qualified candidate is key.
Alternatives to Teach Away
While Teach Away is a highly regarded platform for educators looking to teach abroad, other reputable alternatives exist for individuals interested in international teaching opportunities. These alternatives are great for those who may not meet the specific requirements of Teach Away, those seeking different types of teaching roles, or those eager to start their teaching journey without a lengthy application process. These platforms offer more flexibility in terms of location, duration, and type of teaching experience. Here are a few reputable organizations with established programs for teaching abroad:
Since 2003, Maximo Nivel has been offering diverse educational and volunteer programs in Latin America and is acclaimed for its global accreditations. Maximo Nivel offers a comprehensive TEFL Certification Program, which is essential for those interested in teaching English as a second language. Maximo Nivel is an established ESL institute since 2003, teaching more than 3,200 English learners every month in Costa Rica, Guatemala, Peru, and online.
For those who want to dive into teaching, Maximo Nivel has comprehensive Volunteer and Internship programs that can help you get hands-on experience and gain practical teaching experience under your belt.
Maximo Nivel offers several TEFL Certification options, including a 4-week onsite program, a hybrid program (a combination of online and onsite), and a fully online program. This flexibility allows candidates to choose a program that best fits their schedule and learning style. Participants can also opt for Specialized Courses to boost their expertise. They also offer job placement assistance and lifetime job-finding support, which is a significant advantage for graduates looking to find teaching positions post-certification.
The program locations in Latin America provide an opportunity for cultural immersion, which can be a valuable addition to the professional development of aspiring ESL teachers. From airport pick-ups to accommodations, and including a variety of extracurricular activities like salsa classes and cooking lessons, Maximo Nivel ensures a well-rounded experience.
Founded in 2010, the International TEFL Academy (ITA) is renowned for offering globally recognized TEFL certification courses in over 20 locations around the world. Renowned for its Level 5 Ofqual accreditation from TQUK, ITA has established a vast network of partner schools throughout Asia, Europe, and Latin America. ITA certifies about 6,000 individuals annually, with alumni teaching in over 80 countries. The academy provides a range of courses that meet international standards and include practical teaching experiences. Another notable offer is their guaranteed job placement program in Asia, where participants are matched to positions in approved schools that best meets their preferences with top salaries. ITA’s globally recognized certification, bolstered by lifetime job placement support, extensive cultural training, and access to a supportive Alumni Network, equips you for successful international careers. Here are a selection of their stellar programs for those wishing to teach abroad:
IVHQ, established in 2007, is renowned for its global volunteer and internship opportunities, including teaching abroad programs. They offer affordable placements in over 30 destinations, suitable for qualified teachers or first-time volunteers. IVHQ’s programs focus on enhancing English literacy and vocational skills, contributing to sustainable development goals. They also provide comprehensive support, including accommodation and meals, with options for academic credit.
- Teaching English Volunteer Program in Antigua – Guatemala: This program provides an immersive opportunity for fluent English speakers to teach in schools and community centers, aiding in local education and promoting cultural exchange. Volunteers can stay with local families or in volunteer houses, experiencing Guatemala’s rich history and culture.
- Teaching Volunteer Program in Lovina, Bali – Indonesia: A unique opportunity for volunteers to teach English to school children, enhancing their future career opportunities. This program allows volunteers to immerse themselves in Balinese culture, gain teaching experience, and contribute to improving local education access in Lovina, Bali. Participants will be based in local schools, engaging in creative after-school English classes, and will stay in a volunteer house equipped with a pool and tropical garden. This program caters to volunteers aged 16 and above, including families, and offers a culturally enriching and professionally rewarding experience.
- Teaching English Volunteer Project in San Jose, Costa Rica: This program offers a rewarding experience for volunteers to teach English to children and adults in low-income communities. This opportunity provides valuable teaching experience and enhances English language access in the region, contributing to better education and employment prospects for local residents. Volunteers can immerse themselves in the local culture and daily life of San José through homestay accommodations and explore the rich history of Costa Rica. Fluent English speakers, regardless of prior teaching experience, can contribute significantly to this program
GoEco offers a unique chance to teach English in various countries, providing valuable educational support in communities where English proficiency is key to future opportunities. GoEco volunteers play a crucial role in changing this by inspiring and encouraging their students to become confident and articulate in English.
GoEco’s approach to teaching English is dynamic and engaging. Volunteers get involved in various activities like conducting English classes, participating in group conversations, and making learning fun through games, songs, and movies. This method ensures that students not only learn English vocabulary, grammar, and spelling but also develop a genuine interest and love for the language.
The organization offers a range of destinations for volunteers interested in teaching English abroad, including:
Each of these programs is designed not only to educate but also to facilitate cultural exchange and understanding. Volunteers get to immerse themselves in the local community, experience new cultures, and contribute meaningfully to the educational development of students. With GoEco, volunteers are set to embark on a journey that’s as rewarding as it is transformative.
Projects Abroad offers diverse teaching opportunities around the world, particularly in countries with limited resources. Volunteer teaching roles with Projects Abroad involve working with children and young adults in schools, assisting local teachers, contributing to lessons, and gaining firsthand classroom experience. The programs are designed to accommodate both short and long-term commitments and are ideal for those looking to gain teaching experience, develop a global mindset, and make a meaningful impact while teaching English overseas.
Projects Abroad’s teaching programs offer year-round opportunities, perfect for those looking to volunteer in summer or during the school year. These programs are accessible as they don’t require TEFL or CELTA qualifications, previous teaching experience, or knowledge of the local language. Emphasizing personal and professional growth, they help volunteers develop skills like teamwork, communication, leadership, and resilience.
Here are some specific Projects Abroad teaching programs for those seeking experience teaching English abroad:
Projects Abroad ensures ethical and well-supported teaching opportunities, with dedicated staff to assist volunteers. Their approach is guided by annual reviews and thorough needs assessments, ensuring that both the volunteers and the communities served benefit significantly.
African Impact’s Online TEFL Course and In-Person Teaching Internship is a unique TEFL Teaching Internship by African Impact that combines online coursework with a hands-on practicum in Zanzibar or Zambia. Tailored for those enrolled in African Impact’s TEFL course, this program requires a minimum of 28 hours of practical teaching over two weeks, which is a requirement for participants to graduate with their TEFL Certification. Interns teach in nursery schools and at an Education Centre, engaging with children, adults, and women’s groups. This experience not only involves lesson planning and classroom support but also immerses participants in local culture. The program promises a comprehensive, fulfilling experience with accommodation, meals, and support, empowering local communities through education and providing interns with diverse teaching skills as they complete their TEFL Certification.
African Impact also offers volunteer teaching programs in Africa, designed for individuals passionate about education, regardless of their teaching experience or degrees. These programs, available in locations around the African continent, focus on enhancing education in under-resourced communities. Volunteers have the opportunity to work in a variety of settings, including pre-schools, primary schools, and adult literacy classes.
Country highlights include:
Volunteers receive comprehensive training and orientation, preparing them for impactful roles in childcare and teaching. By participating in these programs, volunteers contribute to sustainable education initiatives that uplift communities across Africa.
IVI offers a diverse range of teaching abroad programs in multiple countries, catering to volunteers of all backgrounds, regardless of their teaching experience. IVI is known for making a real impact in communities through focused projects in education, healthcare, childcare, and construction. They offer affordable placements and a wide range of project options in over 20 countries, with flexible start dates. As a non-profit organization, IVI emphasizes significant and lasting impacts in communities, making their programs an excellent choice for volunteers seeking meaningful experiences abroad.
Key Features of IVI’s Teaching Abroad Programs:
- Open to anyone with a good standard of spoken English, with no previous teaching experience required.
- Focus on English conversation and language teaching, with opportunities to teach other subjects like science, math, and sports.
- Various teaching settings, including government primary schools, community teaching, after-school clubs, and special needs teaching.
Some of the destinations where IVI offers teaching programs include tranquil Bali, vibrant Costa Rica, and picturesque Fiji just to name a few. The Pacific beauty of Samoa, the safari spirit of Tanzania, and Vietnam‘s dynamic history all make for unique and enriching English teaching settings with IVI, turning each location into an adventure of cultural exploration and impactful teaching.
The Online TEFL Course by Volunteering Solutions, in collaboration with TEFL UK, offers a flexible and comprehensive program for those eager to teach English globally. Catering to a wide audience, including high school graduates, gap year travelers, and experienced educators, this 120-hour course is ideal for developing essential teaching skills. It opens doors to international teaching opportunities, allowing you to learn at your own pace and even from home.
Volunteering Solutions also offers a diverse range of volunteer teaching programs ideal for those looking to contribute to children’s education without needing formal teaching qualifications. These programs are designed for volunteers of all backgrounds, with a good command of written and conversational English being the primary requirement.
Key Opportunities with Volunteering Solutions:
These programs, available throughout the year with flexible start dates, typically involve improving students’ vocabulary and spoken English skills. Creativity and improvisation are often key, as teaching conditions can vary, with some classes being held in open-air environments. These programs offer more than just teaching experience; they are an opportunity to engage with local communities, understand different cultures, and make a lasting impact on the educational development of children in various parts of the world.
Your Teach Abroad Experience Awaits!
Whether you’re drawn to the comprehensive support of Teach Away, the cultural immersion offered by Maximo Nivel, the globally recognized certifications from the International TEFL Academy, or the unique volunteer experiences with IVHQ, GoEco, and others, there’s a world of opportunity awaiting those eager to teach abroad.
Each organization brings something unique to the table, catering to a diverse range of needs and aspirations. As you embark on this transformative journey, remember that teaching abroad is not just about imparting knowledge but also about personal growth, cultural exchange, and making a lasting impact in global communities. So, choose the path that aligns with your goals and get ready to open the door to an adventure filled with learning, exploration, and unforgettable experiences.