From mint tea and rich desert to the kasbahs and mosques, there are few places that delight the senses and spirit like Morocco. With a beautiful combination of African, Arab and European influences, Morocco’s vibrant energy and culture make it an attractive destination for folks from all over the world.
If you’re looking to volunteer or teach English abroad in Morocco, you’ve made a great choice. As you start planning, learn about the options you have when it comes to volunteering, caring for children in need, teaching English, and other ways to help. Here’s all you need to know:
Top Volunteer and English Teaching Programs in Morocco
Here are some of the best volunteer organizations and programs in Morocco:
With volunteer programs available throughout Africa, Asia, and the Pacific, Plan My Gap Yearhas lots of opportunity for travelers to make a difference for communities in need. Each of PMGY’s volunteer placements are vetted by their staff to ensure transparency, safety, and sustainability – matching you with a volunteer abroad program that fits with your background and skills. With recognition including the Shell LiveWire Grand Idea Award, Thailand Green Excellence Award, and Special Recognition from the United Nations in Sri Lanka, Plan My Gap Year is a wonderful way to immerse yourself in a different culture, explore the world, and make a positive impact.
Morocco Childcare Volunteering
One of Plan My Gap Year’s volunteer opportunities in Morocco brings you to Rabat, where you will lend a hand at a home for children of all ages, as well as adults with special needs. As a volunteer, you can plan activities, assist with general care, and even teach English and provide support at a local kindergarten. Learn more and register here!
Morocco English Teaching
Also based in Rabat, PMGY’s teaching program in Morocco invites you to teach English to underprivileged students. Plan My Gap Year partners with several different schools and community centers where you can work with students in a primary or secondary program – through your assistance, students of all ages can build their basic and conversational English skills, which will help them to pursue meaningful employment in the future. Learn more here!
Love Volunteers offers a variety of placements for Morocco, including:
- Teaching English: Teach conversational English to children that could otherwise not afford it.
- Working with Children and Young People: Help children learn crucial life skills, from computer skills to teamwork.
- Women’s Empowerment: Educate girls and young women who don’t have access to the opportunities they deserve.
- Working with Children with Disabilities: Provide much-needed support to children and young adults living with disabilities.
- Journalism Internship: Enhance your CV as you cover stories about local communities.
- Midwifery Internship: Get a practical taste of working in a maternity ward in Morocco.
Projects Abroad perhaps has the most extensive selection of volunteer and English teaching programs in Morocco. You can do everything from a medical internship in physical therapy to volunteering with nomads. There are also care and community programs for teens and high school students.
Some popular Projects Abroad volunteer programs include general care projects, which include caring for special needs children and helping at kindergartens. You can also teach IT, which requires competency in the subject.
For the popular teach English volunteer program offered by Projects Abroad, you get the option of teaching at an elementary school, high school or language center. The main goal is to get students more fluent in all aspects of English.
Medical volunteer and internship programs in Morocco with Projects Abroad abound as well, like midwifery and speech therapy internships. You can gain valuable work experience while improving the quality of local lives.
Cross Cultural Solutions offers volunteers a choice of three volunteer programs, all of which aim to combat rural and urban poverty in the country. These are:
- Child Development: Assist teachers and caregivers in schools and organizations. This is in an effort to provide vulnerable children the education they deserve.
- Global Health: Help healthcare professionals in low-income communities treat the local population and promote public health projects.
- Girls’ and Women’s Empowerment: Foster economic opportunities for women in various Moroccan communities. The goal is to empower girls and women to become leaders who will transform their community.
Want to dive into Moroccan culture? Rustic Pathways may have the program for you:
- Peace, Wonder and Understanding Islam: Explore the belief system surrounding the Islamic faith in Morocco. This program, which is free of charge, is by invitation only (you apply and a set number of people are chosen).
- Moroccan Wanderer: Trek through the Sahara Desert, surf in the coastal town of Essaouira, volunteer at a village in the Atlas Mountains and more.
International Volunteer Headquarters has many ongoing projects in Morocco, such as:
- Childcare: Develop the cognitive skills of children in disadvantaged neighborhoods through engaging activities.
- Teaching English: Provide English training to underprivileged children and assist local teachers.
- Women’s Education: Provide essential education and professional development to women, empowering them to build a better future.
- Sports Development: Foster teamwork and build the social skills of children through rugby, basketball, soccer and more.
Final Words Before You Go!
Volunteering or teaching English in Morocco will be an amazing time. As one volunteer for International Volunteer Headquarters said, “I have way too many favorite moments from my volunteering experience in Morocco to put into words. I made connections with people that will last a lifetime.”
When choosing a program in Morocco, look for one that aligns with your interests and budget. Also, look to see where you can have the greatest positive influence. This way, you can truly help the local communities here and gain valuable personal and professional experience.