China’s booming economy, ancient culture, tasty cuisines and incredible landscapes make it an attractive place to visit and live. With a population of nearly 1.4 billion, there is simply an incredibly large market for everything–especially the English language.
Since China began opening up in the 1970s, the country has developed an amazing interest and need for the English language. Though estimates vary, there are more than 300 million Chinese learning English. For many, knowing English–the world’s lingua franca–is integral to achieving professional and personal goals.
A large market, motivated students and the potential to make good money make China a great choice for people who want to develop and advance their ESL career. It’s also a wonderful destination if you want to teach English and live abroad for a while.
Here’s what you need to know about teaching English in China:
Get Your TEFL Certification
While there are schools and training centers in China that won’t require TEFL certifications, most reputable organizations do. To make sure you get the most out of teaching English in China, you should get a TEFL certification before you apply and go.
There are many benefits to getting a TEFL certification, such as:
- You’ll be a more attractive candidate to employers in China.
- You’ll be a better teacher–which means your students will learn more!
- You’ll acquire knowledge, skills, and techniques that will help you throughout your ESL teaching career.
- You’ll get hired by a reputable school or organization that will pay you well and provide the support you need.
Some organizations and schools may provide TEFL training as part of your English teaching contract, so check in advance in this benefit is available. If you want to get a head start, know you can get a TEFL certification online.
If you do a quick Google search, you’ll find countless places where you can get certified. It’s hard to know which ones are good and affordable. To help you, here are three accredited TEFL training academies that do a great job:
- International TEFL and TESOL Training (ITTT): ITTT offers a vast variety of TEFL training courses. You can take the course online or at a location near your hometown. You can also take a month-long TEFL course in China. Locations include Shanghai and Zhuhai.
- i-to-i: An Internationally recognized institution, i-to-i has lots of TEFL training courses, including 300-hour online and 320-hour combined classroom/online TEFL specialist training programs.
- International TEFL Academy: With online courses and 25 locations worldwide, the International TEFL Academy is quite a convenient place to get a TEFL certification. Classes are taught by teachers with advanced degrees.