Volunteering abroad with a friend is a great way to do some good, have fun, broaden your perspectives, and build a stronger relationship. Simply put, it can be the best time of your life. Going abroad with friends enables you to have familiar support and share the traveling experience with someone special to you. Moreover, you can still make lasting connections with locals and fellow volunteers.
Whether you decide to volunteer for marine conservation in Fiji or work in childcare in Peru, know there are lots of reputable organizations and programs across the world to choose from. Let this article be your resource for figuring out what you want to do and where you want to go.
What You Can Do When You Volunteer Abroad With A Friend
For volunteer trips abroad with a travel buddy, the choice of destination may require some discussion. It’s vital to consider each other’s preferences, and find a good compromise that best meets both of your desires and goals.
When it comes to adult and teen volunteer trips for groups of people, there are many types of programs, including:
- Education projects: For instance, you could teach English in China with your travel buddy, volunteer in childcare in Costa Rica, and more.
- Community development: Help build schools, health clinics, community centers, and more in places like Tanzania and Puerto Rico.
- Medicine internships: Usually for those enrolled in medical school or preparing for professional work, as well as those currently working in healthcare, medicine internships are a great way to provide impoverished people quality healthcare services. You can literally help save lives with your friends!
- Environmental conservation: Experience life in some of the most beautiful places in the world–and help preserve the biodiversity there. From wildlife research in Guyana in the Amazon rainforest to Great Barrier Reef conservation projects in Australia, the places you can go are amazing.
- Social change initiatives: For example, you could volunteer for women’s empowerment in India with your friend or do a law and human rights internship in South Africa. Such programs work to empower disadvantaged people and catalyze positive societal change.
No matter what you do, there is incredible opportunity for personal growth when you volunteer abroad with a friend. You can encourage each other, learn from each other, step out of your comfort zone together, and work to make a difference together. And, when you come back home, you’ll have inside jokes and be able to tell stories that begin with things like, “Remember when we were in Cambodia and…”
For adult, college, and high school volunteer trips with friends, you have ample options. To help you navigate through all the volunteer programs out there, check out our featured programs below. You and your friend will certainly find a high-quality project that matches your interests!